Text, numbers, graphics, images, sound, or video and in any format, electronic or paper. The University regards data maintained in support of a functional unit's operation as University data if they meet at least one of the following criteria: If
- at least two administrative operations of the University use the data and consider the data essential;
- integration of related information requires the data;
- the University needs to verify the quality of the data to comply with legal and administrative requirements for supporting statistical and historical information externally;
- a broad cross section of University employees refers to or maintains the data; or
- the University needs the data to plan.
Some examples of such University-owned data include student course grades, patient records, employee salary information, research, vendor payments, and the University's annual Common Data Set.