Information Technology (IT) resources, as defined in UVA policy, IRM-002: Acceptable Use of the University’s Information Technology Resources, are: All resources owned, leased, managed, controlled, or contracted by the University involving networking, computing, electronic communication, and the management and storage of electronic data including, but not limited to:
- Networks (virtual and physical), networking equipment, and associated wiring including, but not limited to: gateways, routers, switches, wireless access points, concentrators, firewalls, and Internet-protocol telephony devices;
- Electronic devices containing computer processors including, but not limited to: computers, laptops, desktops, servers (virtual or physical), smart phones, tablets, digital assistants, printers, copiers, network-aware devices with embedded electronic systems (i.e., “Internet of things”), and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) and industrial control systems;
- Electronic data storage devices including, but not limited to: hard drives, solid state drives, optical disks (e.g., CDs, DVDs), thumb drives, and magnetic tape;
- Software including, but not limited to: applications, databases, content management systems, web services, and print services;
- Electronic data in transmission and at rest;
- Network and communications access and associated privileges; and
- Account access and associated privileges to any other IT resource.