Welcome to the IT Resource Users Guidance page. Take a moment to consult the items below. They will help guide you in understanding the tools you have availability to you as well as your responsibilities a user of UVA IT Resources.
How to Secure Your Computer
- Requirements for Securing Electronic Devices
- Get a securely preconfigured computer: DCI program
- Get Security Software
- AntiVirus: Use Microsoft Windows Defender for PCs, Gatekeeper for Macs, or Cylance for Linux, Mac, or Windows
- Encrypt files on your computer
- Secure remote access and file transfer with SecureCRT
- Transfer files to/from servers using SecureFX
- Delete your data safely and securely by following the Electronic Data Removal Procedures guidelines. You can download the Secure Deletion Shredder for Windows using this link. To securely delete information for Macs and get more information on securely deleting data on your device, follow this link.
- Protect your Home Computer and Network
Know Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Responsible Computing at UVA for faculty and staff: a handbook for UVA faculty and staff to determine what they can, cannot, and must do regarding information technology at the University.
- Responsible Computing at UVA for students: a handbook for UVA students to determine what they can, cannot, and must do regarding information technology at the University.
- Information Policy: Follow the link to access the full library of information policy. You can also email the Information Security team for additional information or assistance navigating IT policy.
- Security Responsibilities:
- Security of Connected Devices: Follow the link to learn more about the requirements for connecting devices to a University network.
- Reporting an Information Security Incident Standard
- Highly Sensitive Data Protection Standard for Individual-Use Devices or Media: If you are using or storing highly sensitive data on your device, you must follow the strict regulations required for protecting this data from potential cyber-attacks. Follow the link to learn about these requirements. If you are not familiar with the definition of highly sensitive data, follow this link.
Do you have a Security Problem?
- Report a Security Problem
- Follow this link to view all Suspicious Emails Currently Circulating at UVa and all Security Alerts.